The Subcommittee on Women and Climate Change
Please visit the Subcommittee on Women and Climate Change website.
At the CSW 52 (2008), the Commission on the Status of Women listed women and climate change as an emerging issue. Recognizing the relevance of this issue to advocacy for gender equality, the Executive Committee of the NGO Committee on the Status of Women established a task force to explore the feasibility of organizing a subcommittee on women and climate change and to do the preparatory work that would lead to its formation (6/08). In May 2009, the task force was re—designated the NGO/CSW subcommittee on Women and Climate.
PURPOSES OF THE SC ACTIVITIES & PROJECTS
- Awareness raising and education
- Research, information gathering, resource development
- Catalyst to arouse interest and mobilize action in the area of women and climate change among the NGO/CSW membership and members of the community of NGOs at the UN
- Advocacy to integrate climate change into advocacy for gender equality and, conversely, gender equality into advocacy for climate change
- Monitoring the work of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change
For information about SC meetings, which are on the first Tuesday of the month, contact Anita L. Wenden, SC Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org. New members are welcome!